There is a verse of Scripture that we might use to test our level of ‘belief’ in Yahushua [Jesus]. Perhaps the apostle James had this test in mind when he wrote the words:
“Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.” (James 2:19)
In the above verse, we are told that the devils, or satan and his demons, believe the facts. When we read the details of Scripture, and when we look back at history, we can see and understand many facts that are true.
The devils also believe, in that they know all these facts. That is why they tremble, because they know the facts. The devils believe, but we are told that they will end up in eternal fire (Matthew 25:41; Rev 20:10,15).
The question is, “Is our belief in Yahushua [Jesus] greater than the belief the devils have in Him?”
In order to test our level of belief in Yahushua, we must find the point where our ‘belief’ goes beyond what the devils believe.
So let’s begin by looking at some of the basic facts that make up the true Faith:
- There is one God — one Mighty One, who is Yahuweh, the Creator;
- Yahushua is the Son of Yahuweh;
- Yahushua died on the stake [cross] and shed His Blood, to pay the price for the sins of everyone who believes in Him;
- Yahushua was resurrected from the dead, and ascended into heaven;
- God gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16).
Do you believe the above, simple facts of Scripture, and of history? You do well, according to James. The devils also believe all of the above facts, and they tremble.
The devils know all the facts — that Yahushua was crucified, died, buried, and rose again on the third day.
How is our faith any different from that of the devils?
Notice the other half of what James said:
“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith [‘belief’] without works is dead?” (James 2:20)
Here James gives us part of the answer, of how true Faith [belief] differs from the belief of the devils. Here, James reveals to us that the devils’ faith is without works. It is dead. But then James tells us what the true Faith is:
“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” (James 1:22)
“For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:… But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.” (James 1:23,25)
Here James reveals two things. First, if we hear and know His words, but are not “DO-ers” of His words, then we are becoming self-deceived.
Next, James tells us that to truly ‘believe’ in Yahushua, is to be a “DO-er” of Yahushua’s words. But because many today missed the great significance of what it means to be a “DO-er” of Yahushua’s words, and to continue therein, we will look briefly at this.
We recall that Messiah is the WORD of Yahuweh, who gave all the words of Scripture to Abraham, Moses, and all the Prophets. This tells us that all the words of Scripture are Yahushua’s words. And so we ‘believe’ in Yahushua unto eternal life, when we begin to be “DO-ers” of the words of Yahushua.
The difference then, between our belief and the devils’ belief, lies in the fact that the devils are not “DO-ers” of the words of Yahushua. Our belief begins to grow, as we begin to learn, and to become a “DO-er” of Yahushua’s words.
So our question becomes, “Have we yet become “DO-ers” of Yahushua’s words — even those words He gave to Moses, found written in the perfect Law of Liberty?”
For example, Yahushua has told His people, including Gentiles grafted-in, by faith in Messiah, that they are to keep His ‘moedim’ — His Appointed Times — His Festivals and His Sabbath days (See Lev 23:1-44).
As His redeemed people, are we preparing to “watch” [keep, observe, guard, and preserve the ‘doing’ of] His upcoming Festivals? Our participation in His Festivals is a part of the sign or signet — the ‘owth’ — [sign, token, or seal] He has given to us, applied by the Holy Spirit, to signify, or mark out, those who do know Him (Exodus 31:13; Ezekiel 20:12,20; Matthew 7:23).
Yahushua and His Disciples participated in His Festivals, and they are for our example! (Luke 22:11; Acts 18:21; 1Co 5:8; 1Co 11:1; Php 3:17; 1Jo 2:6).
Do we ‘believe’ in Yahushua more than the devils do?
The keeping or doing of Yahushua’s Words, marks the point of departure of true Faith, beyond what the devils believe.
Those who will be among the Wise Virgins are actively preparing themselves, and are beginning to walk in obedience, in ways they have not known (Josh 3:4; Isa 42:16, 43:19).
Let us begin to put feet to our Faith.
Let us begin to truly ‘believe’ in Yahushua!
- If You Love Me, Keep ‘My’ Commandments – Do we show our love for Messiah, in the way He has told us — or have we lost sight of His identity?
- What Are the Ten Commandments? – Also called The Ten Words, these Scripture passages are shown in both Hebrew and English, enabling us to see for ourselves what these Commandments actually say. When we as New Covenant Believers understand whose words they are, we can better know how to respond to them.
- Obeying Torah is Not About Salvation – Obedience to the Torah [Father’s House Rules for His family] is not about our redemption by Yahushua’s blood. Instead, it is Messiah’s New Testament instruction to all Born-again Believers in how to abide in Him, how to love Him, and how to walk as He walked.
- Seven Biblical Guidelines for Studying the Bible: Using Scripture to Interpret the Scriptures – What is the source of our current understanding of the Bible? The pure Truths of Scripture are of highest importance — how we understand the Scriptures will affect our eternal condition! To avoid being deceived by man-made doctrines, we must not rely on Preachers, Teachers, Bible notes or commentaries. Instead we must study and understand the Bible for ourselves — not looking through the lenses of tradition or man-made Bible study methods — but relying only on what the Bible actually says about how to study and understand the Scriptures! Here are 7 Biblical Guidelines that show us the way!
- Contending for The Faith – We are exhorted to contend, to fight to remain in The Faith that was originally given. Scripture shows what The Faith is, and shows why and how we must contend for The Faith. Overview of how the adversary attacks the foundation of The Faith, with examples of contending for The Faith.
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins – Yahushua tells us why many today are not prepared.
- The Wise and Foolish: According to Yahushua – Messiah tells us in clear and simple terms for our instruction, who the wise and foolish are today!
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins: The Separation of the Wise – The Scriptures reveal a 2-step process of separation from the multitudes, for those who would grow in Wisdom.
- Let No Man Steal Your Crown – Reveals there are men today trying to take away, and steal your Bridal veil, and your crown; things that allow your crown to be stolen; the Doctrine of Balaam, and how it will steal your crown.
- Who is the Chaste Virgin? – The Bridegroom is coming for His Bride — one who is chaste, and without corruption. The Scriptures warn us of the many forms of corruption, and how to remove them, in order to remain chaste, and ready for the Bridegroom.
- The Wedding of the King’s Son: A Parable – A parable revealing the astonishing – and magnificent – nature of the New Covenant.