The Feast of Firstfruits
The First of the Resurrection-Harvest Feasts for Yahuweh’s people. Yahuweh’s Feast Days are for His Redeemed people, including those grafted-in by Faith, according to Scripture. The Feast of (Early) Firstfruits and the Feast of the 2nd Passover are no exception.
The next Feast to occur after Passover and the Feast of Unleavened is called Yom ha Bikkurim, the Feast of (Early) Firstfruits, which according to (Lev 23:11), occurs on the morrow after the Sabbath. Tradition has this day of Firstfruits always on Nisan 16, but the true chronology of the Passover week can be easily understood by those who acknowledge the Resurrection of Yahushua.
The Firstfruits requirement is seen in (Lev 23:10-12), where the un-processed sheaf of the first crop (Barley) is brought to the High Priest, then waved before Yahuweh as a wave offering. Traditionally the cutting occurred on Shabbat, and the waving by the High Priest occurred after Shabbat, on the first day of the week.
It was in fulfillment of this Feast that Yahushua, at His resurrection, became the Firstfruits of the Resurrection-Harvest of all of mankind (1Co 15:20, 23).
We understand that Yahushua was resurrected at sundown on the weekly Sabbath, in keeping with the requirement for cutting the firstfruit sheaf. This sundown straddled the close of the Sabbath day, the 17th day of the month — and the start of the first day of the week, the 18th day of the month.
It is then only a simple matter to count backwards three days and 3 nights from the end of the 17th day, counting backwards to the starting point of His crucifixion and burial, at the end of the 14th day. The 14th must have been a 4th day of the week.
Since Yahushua is our example in all things, we now understand that the Feast of Firstfruits occurs the day after the weekly Sabbath.
Countdown to Pentecost
This Feast of Early Firstfruits also marked “Day 1” of a 50-day count to the Feast of Shavuot, also called Pentecost, the Feast of Weeks, and Feast of Latter Firstfruits. We are told that Shavuot is also a day of Firstfruits for the next crop, the wheat (Lev 23:15-17; Lev 2:1; Ex 29:2).
Yahuweh has instructed His people to count 50 days, or a total of 7 Sabbaths, to an end-point of the Feast of Pentecost, occurring on the morrow after the 7th Sabbath. The prophetic significance of Pentecost will be seen in a subsequent writing.
This countdown of 50 days is known as the ‘Omer Count,’ and is to be made daily, in order to mark the great importance of certain days leading up to and including the 50th day. The resurrection and appearance of Yahushua on earth occurred during the first 40 days of the omer count. Likewise His ascension on the 40th day, and the pouring out of His Set-Apart Spirit on the 50th day, all occurred on significant day-counts within the Omer Count.
We are to watch these daily and diligently! For we do not know which day WE may be harvested as a kind of firstfruits (James 1:18)!
The 50-day countdown to Shavuot may be done easily by using a 50-day chart. Around the time of Passover each year, there is published a list of the Biblical Feasts, which include the 50-day countdown, beginning on the Day of early Firstfruits.
The Resurrection week of Yahushua reveals the pattern for the Biblical Feasts. First the day of Passover occurs, then next day is the High Sabbath [first day] of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. The day after the weekly Sabbath during the Feast of Unleavened then becomes the day of early Firstfruits, [always on a Sunday]. This is the resurrection day, and is also ‘Day 1’ of the countdown to Pentecost.
The Passover and other Feasts are not exclusively for our Jewish Brethren, but for all of Yahuweh’s Redeemed people, including those grafted-in by Faith.
- Communion: A Man-Made Substitute for the Biblical Passover – Also called the ‘Eucharist’ and ‘Lord’s Supper,’ this man-made substitute is a counterfeit of the Biblical Passover meal eaten by Messiah and His disciples the same night in which He was betrayed. This counterfeit has been passed down to us over the centuries, and today continues to be practiced unknowingly by most evangelical Believers.
- Eating Things Sacrificed Unto Idols: A Warning to the Bride – The Full-length article.
- The New Covenant Passover: A Mystery – Full List of Passover Articles, with Descriptions and Links.
- If You Love Me, Keep ‘My’ Commandments – Do we show our love for Messiah, in the way He has told us — or have we lost sight of His identity?
- What Are the Ten Commandments? – Also called The Ten Words, these Scripture passages are shown in both Hebrew and English, enabling us to see for ourselves what these Commandments actually say. When we as New Covenant Believers understand whose words they are, we can better know how to respond to them.
- Obeying Torah is Not About Salvation – Obedience to the Torah [Father’s House Rules for His family] is not about our redemption by Yahushua’s blood. Instead, it is Messiah’s New Testament instruction to all Born-again Believers in how to abide in Him, how to love Him, and how to walk as He walked.
- Seven Biblical Guidelines for Studying the Bible: Using Scripture to Interpret the Scriptures – What is the source of our current understanding of the Bible? The pure Truths of Scripture are of highest importance — how we understand the Scriptures will affect our eternal condition! To avoid being deceived by man-made doctrines, we must not rely on Preachers, Teachers, Bible notes or commentaries. Instead we must study and understand the Bible for ourselves — not looking through the lenses of tradition or man-made Bible study methods — but relying only on what the Bible actually says about how to study and understand the Scriptures! Here are 7 Biblical Guidelines that show us the way!
- Contending for The Faith – We are exhorted to contend, to fight to remain in The Faith that was originally given. Scripture shows what The Faith is, and shows why and how we must contend for The Faith. Overview of how the adversary attacks the foundation of The Faith, with examples of contending for The Faith.
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins – Yahushua tells us why many today are not prepared.
- The Wise and Foolish: According to Yahushua – Messiah tells us in clear and simple terms for our instruction, who the wise and foolish are today!
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins: The Separation of the Wise – The Scriptures reveal a 2-step process of separation from the multitudes, for those who would grow in Wisdom.
- Let No Man Steal Your Crown – Reveals there are men today trying to take away, and steal your Bridal veil, and your crown; things that allow your crown to be stolen; the Doctrine of Balaam, and how it will steal your crown.
- Who is the Chaste Virgin? – The Bridegroom is coming for His Bride — one who is chaste, and without corruption. The Scriptures warn us of the many forms of corruption, and how to remove them, in order to remain chaste, and ready for the Bridegroom.
- The Wedding of the King’s Son: A Parable – A parable revealing the astonishing – and magnificent – nature of the New Covenant.