Was the Last Supper a Passover? The Clear Words of Yahushua
Because of the supreme importance of the New-Covenant Passover, we must seek with all our heart to find what the Scriptures actually say about New Covenant Believers’ participation in this important event.
What was the Last Supper Yahushua ate with His disciples?
Down through the ages, our ancestors passed along many notions and practices that are not in agreement with Scripture. One of these is the rejecting of Passover, and the embracing of an un-Scriptural version of what is commonly called the “Lord’s Supper.” This change occurred, based on the idea that the Last Supper was not a Passover meal.
Most Born-Again Believers today have been told by their Pastors and spiritul Leaders that the Passover is ‘Jewish,’ but the Lord’s Supper is for the New Covenant ‘Gentiles.’ But what do the Scriptures tell us? What do the clear words of Yahushua say?
First, we recall in the previous writing that Yahuweh tells us that the Biblical Feasts are ‘MY’ (Yahuweh’s) Feasts — and the Passover was ‘Yahuweh’s’ Passover (Ex 12:11; Lev 23:2, 4-5). We saw that the Feasts are not Jewish Feasts, they are Yahuweh’s Feasts, and they are only for HIS people.
In this short writing, we will look at a few words spoken by Yahushua about the Last Supper. We will then see the New Covenant meaning of this event.
First let’s notice carefully what Yahshua himself said about the Last Supper:
And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. (Matthew 26:18-19)
And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us. And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. (Mark 14:14-16)
Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. … And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? … And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. (Luke 22:7-8,11,13)
For those who believe Yahushua’s Words are true, these verses remove any doubt that Yahushua and His Disciples were celebrating Passover at the ‘Last Supper.’
“Yes, but…,” cry the theologians and the multitudes. We will deal with some common objections in a later writing, in light of the clear words of Scripture. Even logical arguments are demolished by the Author and Creator of logic, as clearly seen in Scripture! Meanwhile, let’s just believe Yahushua spoke the Truth, and continue.
Let’s now look at a few things Yahushua revealed to us about Passover.
The New Covenant Passover
The Scriptures reveal that eating the Passover meal was a practice that Messiah, who is the Word of Yahuweh, commanded His people from ancient times. Throughout the pages of the Gospels, by His Words and His actions, Yahushua simply revealed the true meaning of the centuries-old Passover meal.
While keeping Passover with His Disciples, Yahushua demonstrated many important truths to us.
- Yahushua was revealing that He was to be the New Covenant fulfillment of the well-known Passover Sacrifice.
- In the Passover meal, Yahushua was declaring that He was the fulfillment of the ‘Lamb of Yahuweh’ as seen in shadow, when substituted for Isaac — revealing to us the Truth of what a substitutionary sacrifice really is, and giving us an idea of its true cost to His Father.
- At this Last Supper meal, Yahushua was declaring once again, that He Himself is the ‘Lamb of Yahuweh’ of the Israelites’ Passover, whose Blood on the blood-stained doorposts in Egypt, became their redemption, setting them free.
- Yahushua identifies the Passover Cup as the ‘New Covenant in My Blood’ (Luke 22:20), showing us the drinking of the Passover wine is indeed a New Covenant activity. The apostle Paul affirms this Truth for us (1Cor 11:25).
- The Disciples ate the Passover meal with Yahushua, and Messiah and His disciples ar our examples (Php 3:17; 2Thess 3:9; 1Pet 5:3). Yahushua and His Disciples demonstrated to us how we, too, are to eat of His Flesh (the Passover Bread), and to drink of His blood (the Passover Cup of Redemption, taken after the meal is complete).
- Yahushua Himself said that unless (you) eat this Passover Meal — His flesh, and His Blood — (you) have “no life in you” (John 6:53). With these words, Messiah revealed the supreme importance of our Passover participation, as a vital part of our participation in the New Covenant.
- The Apostle Paul admonishes all Born-Again Believers to keep the Passover:
“…Christ ‘our’ passover is sacrificed for ‘us’: Therefore let ‘us’ keep the feast…” (1Cor 5:7b-8a).
Here Paul tells us the reason we are to keep the feast, is that Messiah is our Passover (sacrifice) who was sacrificed for ‘us’ — therefore let ‘us’ keep the feast.
Notice that Paul was writing to “us” — to New Covenant Believers!
So, in view of the importance seen in Scripture, why don’t most Gentile Believers keep Passover?
Let’s see the reason.
The Counterfeit Passover
As Gentiles, most of us today have been led away from the truth, and have instead been given an erroneous paradigm, or ‘spin’ of the true Passover and of the other Feasts of Yahuweh, as seen throughout the New Testament. Instead of the true Lord’s Supper, we have accepted a substitute, a counterfeit Passover, cooked up in the kitchens of Babylon, and passed down from former generations. As Gentile Believers today, we have inherited these counterfeits, which are ‘lies’ as Jeremiah tells us (Jer 16:19).
Yahushua’s example at the event of the Last Supper has been explained away as an event called the Lord’s Supper, which is somehow different from Passover. Those teaching these popular doctrines give many un-Scriptural reasons and excuses to support this notion.
As a result, many Born-Again Believers today have not yet begun keeping or learning about the New Covenant Passover, many having been told “it’s Jewish” or “it’s not for us” or some other silly notion.
In spite of the clear words of Yahushua, many still have stumbled over what appear to be obstacles in their understanding of the Gospels. Many refuse to obey what they do not first understand.
The clear teaching of Scripture, however, is first we are to obey; and then He will open our eyes, and then we will understand! (John 7:17 et al).
Coming Next: What kind of Bread was used at the Last Supper — Leavened or Unleavened Bread? The answer to this question reveals whether the Last Supper was, or was not, a Passover Feast.
Coming Later: Some common objections — some popular, but un-Scriptural ideas, notions, fables, and old-wives-tales — about the Last Supper and Passover, in view of the clear words and blinding Light of Scripture.
- Communion: A Man-Made Substitute for the Biblical Passover – Also called the ‘Eucharist’ and ‘Lord’s Supper,’ this man-made substitute is a counterfeit of the Biblical Passover meal eaten by Messiah and His disciples the same night in which He was betrayed. This counterfeit has been passed down to us over the centuries, and today continues to be practiced unknowingly by most evangelical Believers.
- Eating Things Sacrificed Unto Idols: A Warning to the Bride – The Full-length article.
- The New Covenant Passover: A Mystery – Full List of Passover Articles, with Descriptions and Links.
- If You Love Me, Keep ‘My’ Commandments – Do we show our love for Messiah, in the way He has told us — or have we lost sight of His identity?
- What Are the Ten Commandments? – Also called The Ten Words, these Scripture passages are shown in both Hebrew and English, enabling us to see for ourselves what these Commandments actually say. When we as New Covenant Believers understand whose words they are, we can better know how to respond to them.
- Obeying Torah is Not About Salvation – Obedience to the Torah [Father’s House Rules for His family] is not about our redemption by Yahushua’s blood. Instead, it is Messiah’s New Testament instruction to all Born-again Believers in how to abide in Him, how to love Him, and how to walk as He walked.
- Seven Biblical Guidelines for Studying the Bible: Using Scripture to Interpret the Scriptures – What is the source of our current understanding of the Bible? The pure Truths of Scripture are of highest importance — how we understand the Scriptures will affect our eternal condition! To avoid being deceived by man-made doctrines, we must not rely on Preachers, Teachers, Bible notes or commentaries. Instead we must study and understand the Bible for ourselves — not looking through the lenses of tradition or man-made Bible study methods — but relying only on what the Bible actually says about how to study and understand the Scriptures! Here are 7 Biblical Guidelines that show us the way!
- Contending for The Faith – We are exhorted to contend, to fight to remain in The Faith that was originally given. Scripture shows what The Faith is, and shows why and how we must contend for The Faith. Overview of how the adversary attacks the foundation of The Faith, with examples of contending for The Faith.
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins – Yahushua tells us why many today are not prepared.
- The Wise and Foolish: According to Yahushua – Messiah tells us in clear and simple terms for our instruction, who the wise and foolish are today!
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins: The Separation of the Wise – The Scriptures reveal a 2-step process of separation from the multitudes, for those who would grow in Wisdom.
- Let No Man Steal Your Crown – Reveals there are men today trying to take away, and steal your Bridal veil, and your crown; things that allow your crown to be stolen; the Doctrine of Balaam, and how it will steal your crown.
- Who is the Chaste Virgin? – The Bridegroom is coming for His Bride — one who is chaste, and without corruption. The Scriptures warn us of the many forms of corruption, and how to remove them, in order to remain chaste, and ready for the Bridegroom.
- The Wedding of the King’s Son: A Parable – A parable revealing the astonishing – and magnificent – nature of the New Covenant.