Was the Last Supper a Passover? The Clear Words of Yahushua–
Because of the supreme importance of the New-Covenant Passover, we must seek with all our heart to find what the Scriptures actually say about New Covenant Believers’ participation in this important event.
What was the Last Supper? Down through the ages, our ancestors passed along many notions and practices that are not in agreement with Scripture. One of these is the rejecting of Passover, and the embracing of an un-Scriptural version of the ‘Lord’s Supper.’ This change occurred, based on the idea that the Last Supper was not a Passover meal.
Most Born-Again Believers today have been told by their leaders that the Passover is ‘Jewish,’ and the Lord’s Supper is for the New Covenant ‘Gentiles.’ But what do the Scriptures tell us? What do the clear words of Yahushua say?
First, we recall in the previous writing that Yahuweh claimed the Feasts are ‘MY’ (Yahuweh’s) Feasts — and the Passover was ‘Yahuweh’s’ Passover (Ex 12:11; Lev 23:2, 4-5). We saw that the Feasts are not Jewish Feasts, they are Yahuweh’s Feasts, and are only for HIS people.
In this short writing, we will look at a few words spoken by Yahushua about the Last Supper. We will then see the New Covenant meaning of this event.
First let’s notice carefully what Yahshua himself called the Last Supper:
And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples. And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover. (Matthew 26:18-19)
And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us. And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. (Mark 14:14-16)
Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed. And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat. … And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples? … And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. (Luke 22:7-8,11,13)
For those who believe Yahushua’s Words are true, these verses remove any doubt that Yahushua and His Disciples were celebrating Passover at the ‘Last Supper.’
“Yes, but…,” cry the theologians and the multitudes. We will deal with some common objections in a later writing, in light the clear words of Scripture. Even logical arguments are demolished by the Author and Creator of logic, as clearly seen in Scripture! Meanwhile, let’s just believe Yahushua spoke the Truth, and continue.
Let’s now look at a few things Yahushua revealed to us about Passover.
The New Covenant Passover
The Scriptures reveal that eating the Passover meal was a practice Yahuweh Himself commanded His people, from ancient times. Throughout the pages of the Gospels, by His Words and His actions, Yahushua simply revealed the true meaning of the centuries-old Passover meal.
While keeping Passover with His Disciples, Yahushua demonstrated many important truths to us.
- Yahushua was revealing that He was to be the New Covenant fulfillment of the well-known Passover Sacrifice.
- In the Passover meal, Yahushua was declaring that He was the fulfillment of the ‘Lamb of Yahuweh’ as seen in shadow, when substituted for Isaac — revealing to us the Truth of what a substitutionary sacrifice really is, and giving us an idea of its true cost to His Father.
- At this Last Supper meal, Yahushua was declaring once again, that He Himself is the ‘Lamb of Yahuweh’ of the Israelites’ Passover, whose Blood-stained doorposts in Egypt became their redemption, setting them free.
- Yahushua identifies the Passover Cup as the ‘New Covenant in My Blood’ (Luke 22:20), showing us the drinking of the Passover wine is indeed a New Covenant activity. The apostle Paul affirms this Truth (1Cor 11:25).
- The Disciples ate the Passover meal with Yahushua. They are our examples (Php 3:17; 2Thess 3:9; 1Pet 5:3). Yahushua and His Disciples demonstrated to us how we, too, are to eat of His Flesh (the Passover Bread), and to drink of His blood (the Passover Cup of Redemption, taken after the meal is complete).
- Yahushua Himself said that unless (you) eat this Passover Meal — His flesh, and His Blood — (you) have “no life in you” (Jo 6:53). With these words, He thereby revealed the supreme importance of our Passover participation, as a vital part of our participation in the New Covenant.
- The Apostle Paul admonishes all Born-Again Believers to keep the Passover:
“…Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast…” (1Cor 5:7b-8a).
Here Paul tells us the reason we are to keep the feast is that Messiah is our Passover (sacrifice) who was sacrificed for us — therefore let us keep the feast.
Notice that Paul was writing to “us” — to New Covenant Believers!
So, in view of the importance seen in Scripture, why don’t most Gentile Believers keep Passover? Let’s look.
The Counterfeit Passover
As Gentiles, most of us today have been taught an erroneous paradigm, or ‘spin’ of the true Passover seen in the Gospels, and of the other Feasts of Yahuweh. Instead of the true Lord’s Supper, we have accepted a substitute, a counterfeit Passover, cooked up in the kitchens of Babylon, and passed down from former generations. We Gentile Believers of today have inherited these counterfeits, as Jeremiah tells us (Jer 16:19).
Yahushua’s example at the event of the Last Supper has been explained away as the Lord’s Supper that is somehow different from Passover, giving many reasons and excuses to support this notion.
As a result, most Born-Again Believers today have not yet begun keeping the New Covenant Passover, many having been told “it’s Jewish” or “it’s not for us” or some other notion.
In spite of the clear words of Yahushua, many still have stumbled over what appear to be obstacles in their understanding of the Gospels. Because we have not understood, we have not obeyed.
The clear teaching of Scripture, however, is first obey; and then He will open our eyes, and then we will understand!
Coming Next: What kind of Bread was used at the Last Supper — Leavened or Unleavened Bread? The answer to this question reveals whether the Last Supper was, or was not, a Passover Feast.
Coming Later: Some common objections — some popular, but un-Scriptural ideas, notions, fables, and old-wives-tales — about the Last Supper and Passover, in view of the clear words and blinding Light of Scripture.
- Communion: A Man-Made Substitute for the Biblical Passover – Also called the ‘Eucharist’ and ‘Lord’s Supper,’ this man-made substitute is a counterfeit of the Biblical Passover meal eaten by Messiah and His disciples the same night in which He was betrayed. This counterfeit has been passed down to us over the centuries, and today continues to be practiced unknowingly by most evangelical Believers.
- Eating Things Sacrificed Unto Idols: A Warning to the Bride — The Full-length article.
- The New Covenant Passover: A Mystery – Full List of Passover Articles, with Descriptions and Links