There are three subject-strands that together form the “Gordian Knot” of the New Covenant. These are Grace, Law, and Righteousness. Corrupt any or all of these strands, in any way, and it is near-impossible to correct, without dealing simultaneously with all the others.
In the first of this series, we saw how men have tried to remove the Biblical definition of “Sin” from the vocabulary of the Believing ones, by re-defining the terms to an un-Biblical definition. We saw that the Biblical definition of sin is “Transgression of the Law” (1John 3:4).
For those that want to avoid living a life of Sin, of transgressing the Law, it is vitally important to understand exactly what the New Testament says — and what it does NOT say — about the Law.
In this writing, we will see a very brief but pointed view of what Scripture reveals about one of these subject-strands that have been corrupted by men. For the first time, you will actually see from the New Testament Scriptures something your Pastor never told you about “The Law.”
The Scriptures have much to say about the “Law” of Yahweh. In the Old Testament, there are fifteen (15) separate Hebrew or Aramaic words translated into the one English word “Law” or one of its variants.
Likewise in the New Testament, there are eighteen (18 ) separate Greek words translated into one English word “Law” or its variant. This gives a total of 33 separate and distinct words or variants, each with its own distinct definition (Strong’s numbers appear for reference at the end of this page).
Next we must ask one New Testament question for the Pastors and Scholars among you. Question: “Which of the 18 Greek words for “Law” was “against us, and contrary to us, and has been abolished, and blotted out, and has been taken out of the way, and nailed to the cross?”
Answer: Not a single one of the Greek or Hebrew words for “Law.”
What HAS been been abolished, taken out of the way, etc. is the Greek word Dogma – Strong’s numbers <1378> and <1379> – meaning “Decrees of Men.”
Below are all passages using Greek words with Strong’s numbers <1378> and <1379>. Notice these refer not to God’s Law, but man’s Law — the Dogma, or decrees of men:
“And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree <1378> from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.” (Luke 2:1)
“And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees <1378> for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles and elders which were at Jerusalem.” (Acts 16:4)
“Whom Jason hath received : and these all do contrary to the decrees <1378> of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.” (Acts 17:7)
“Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances <1378>; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;” (Ephesians 2:15)
“Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances <1378> that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;”; (Colossians 2:14)
“Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances <1379>…(Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after (‘according to’) the commandments and doctrines of men?” (Colossians 2:20-22)
The above passages all describe Decrees of Men — the same thing Yahushua came against when confronting the Pharisees. These Doctrines and commandments of men were the Talmudic ordinances prevalent in Judaism in Yahushua’s day, and which are still around today. These have to do with touch not, taste not, handle not, how one must wash hands, and even how one must dress himself in the morning.
These Doctrines and Commandments of Men were against the Scriptures, and against us in that day, and they are likewise today. These decrees caused men to be divided into “two separate groups” of Jews and Gentiles, and created enmity among men. All these decrees, with all their man-made requirements, were abolished at the cross, giving men the freedom to worship according to the manner prescribed by Yahweh in the Scriptures.
The only New Covenant changes in the “Law” for the New Covenant Believing ones are the “Better Things” as listed in the Book of Hebrews. These are simply changes in the sacrifice (the “Better Blood” of Yahushua) and in the Priesthood. These items in the Book of Hebrews describe any and all changes between the Old and New Covenant, which is the eternal contract between the Bridegroom and the Bride. Nothing else has been changed or removed.
The Torah, Hebrew Strong’s number <08451>, is the now-remaining, New Covenant Law for New Covenant Saints. For example, according to the Torah, almost everything is cleansed by Blood (Heb 9:22a). If the Torah is not in force today, as some claim, then by the Scriptures there would be no “New Covenant Redemption possible by a Blood Sacrifice” today, because these are prescribed by Torah!
Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin (Heb 9:22b). No Torah today, no forgiveness today.
What has your Pastor, Minister, or spiritual Leader been telling you? Have you been hearing things that are contrary to what is written? Has he told you the “Law” has been abolished, and nailed to the cross?
Ask him to prove it, by showing you the Greek words for exactly what has been abolished under the New Covenant, as seen in the above Ephesians and Colossians passages. Was it the Torah — or was it instead the dogma, the Doctrines of men?
Pastors: Fool me once, shame on thee. Fool me twice, shame on ME.
From now on, those that would be among the Wise will read it for themselves. There are many things yet to be discovered in the Scriptures… that your Pastor never told you!
Next in the Series: “What Your Pastor never Told You About… Grace.”
Strong’s Numbers: *Law*
Hebrew: 01881, 01882, 02524, 02545, 02706, 02710, 02859, 02860, 02994, 03618, 04687, 04941, 06662, 07990, 08451.
Greek: 60-agoraios, 111-athemitos, 458-anomia, 459-anomos, 1772-ennomos, 1832-exesti, 2917-krima, 2919-krino, 3544-nomikos, 3545-nomimos, 3547-nomodidaskalos, 3548-nomothesia, 3549-nomotheteo, 3550-nomothetes, 3551-nomos, 3565-numphe, 3994-penthera, 3995-pentheros.
- If You Love Me, Keep ‘My’ Commandments – Do we show our love for Messiah, in the way He has told us — or have we lost sight of His identity?
- What Are the Ten Commandments? – Also called The Ten Words, these Scripture passages are shown in both Hebrew and English, enabling us to see for ourselves what these Commandments actually say. When we as New Covenant Believers understand whose words they are, we can better know how to respond to them.
- Obeying Torah is Not About Salvation – Obedience to the Torah [Father’s House Rules for His family] is not about our redemption by Yahushua’s blood. Instead, it is Messiah’s New Testament instruction to all Born-again Believers in how to abide in Him, how to love Him, and how to walk as He walked.
- Seven Biblical Guidelines for Studying the Bible: Using Scripture to Interpret the Scriptures – What is the source of our current understanding of the Bible? The pure Truths of Scripture are of highest importance — how we understand the Scriptures will affect our eternal condition! To avoid being deceived by man-made doctrines, we must not rely on Preachers, Teachers, Bible notes or commentaries. Instead we must study and understand the Bible for ourselves — not looking through the lenses of tradition or man-made Bible study methods — but relying only on what the Bible actually says about how to study and understand the Scriptures! Here are 7 Biblical Guidelines that show us the way!
- Contending for The Faith – We are exhorted to contend, to fight to remain in The Faith that was originally given. Scripture shows what The Faith is, and shows why and how we must contend for The Faith. Overview of how the adversary attacks the foundation of The Faith, with examples of contending for The Faith.
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins – Yahushua tells us why many today are not prepared.
- The Wise and Foolish: According to Yahushua – Messiah tells us in clear and simple terms for our instruction, who the wise and foolish are today!
- The Wise and Foolish Virgins: The Separation of the Wise – The Scriptures reveal a 2-step process of separation from the multitudes, for those who would grow in Wisdom.
- Let No Man Steal Your Crown – Reveals there are men today trying to take away, and steal your Bridal veil, and your crown; things that allow your crown to be stolen; the Doctrine of Balaam, and how it will steal your crown.
- Who is the Chaste Virgin? – The Bridegroom is coming for His Bride — one who is chaste, and without corruption. The Scriptures warn us of the many forms of corruption, and how to remove them, in order to remain chaste, and ready for the Bridegroom.
- The Wedding of the King’s Son: A Parable – A parable revealing the astonishing – and magnificent – nature of the New Covenant.
- Entering the Kingdom: The Wilderness Testing of the Believers
- Entering the Kingdom: The Wise Virgins’ Checklist
- If He Delights In Us — He Will Bring Us Into the Promised Land!